Sunday 10 June 2012

Prometrium, I Hate You.

I will start this post by saying that I am grateful that I have finally been prescribed a progesterone supplement, which I have suspected was in order since I began charting my temperature in September 2011 and realized that my LP was 7-8 days (9 days in March 2012, yay!).  It was so frustrating to repeatedly get my period before an embryo would have been able implant and begin producing enough HCG to tell my body that it was pregnant (if it was).   I also suspect that my January miscarriage may have been related to my low progesterone that cycle (10nmol/L @ 7DPO; should have been >25nmol/L, or >10ng/mL).  So, while I am about to complain about prometrium, I am very thankful that I am taking it.

Now that that disclaimer is out of the way....

Prometrium is such a mind fuck! 

Prometrium is known to have side effects that are similar to early pregnancy symptoms, and I can certainly atttest to that.  My breasts literally feel like they are going to fall off!  They are not just tender, as they would normally be during the two week wait (2WW) - they are extremely sore.  The only other time that they have felt like this was, of course, when I was pregnant. 

I am also extremely emotional and moody.  I am crying (or at least, my eyes are watering) at least 4 or 5 times a day.  It sucks.  This is also a symptom that I very clearly remember experiencing when I was pregnant.

Other annoying symptoms side effects include backache, bloating, cramps and occasional nausea.  And of course, my temperature has remained elevated.

I am not naive.  I am well aware that all of this is more than likely being caused by the progesterone, and has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not I am knocked up.  I get that.  Several of these side effects actually started several days before implantation would even have occured.  Still.... I have to admit that it is a total mind fuck. 

I am not optimistic about this cycle, because MH's numbers were terrible for our IUI (he apparently has issues producing a representative sample when under pressure).  Still, it is hard to stay realistic and grounded during this 2WW when my body (or rather, the prometrium) is fucking with my head like this. 

Prometrium, I hate you.



No comments:

Post a Comment