Wednesday 27 June 2012

IUI #2.1 - 4% Motility, WTF??

I had IUI #2.1 today (ie. the first of two back-to-back IUIs this cycle). It did not go very well. There is good news and bad news. The good news is, the collection condoms really did do the trick - my husband's sample volume trippled to 1.5 ml! His concentration was great, at 70 million per ml. The problem, and the bad news, is his motility. It was a whopping 4%! :(. We knew it was low, but we were not anticipating a number like that (it has previously been 26% and 17%). The extremely low motility made a big difference. Notwithstanding that we had upwards of 100 total sperm, only 3 million survived the wash, with 85% of them being motile. Dammit!. If it's not one thing, it's a-fucking-nother. Of course the doctor also could not get the catheter past my stupid cervix again either, and so she had to use the foley balloon method again.

This is so frustrating.

On the plus side, to the extent that it even matters at this point, I had an awesome response to the Gonal-f! Even at the low dose of 87.5, I had three perfect mature follies, with two that were very close (1.6 cm each), and another three at 1.5 cm! The odds of any more than the three most mature follies containing an egg are about 50/50, according to my RE. Of course, none of that matters if we don't have enough good sperm to work with. *sigh*

I guess we will try again tomorrow. My bloodwork and ultrasound today showed that I had not yet ovulated, so there is still hope. We really need to get to the bottom of this motility bullshit though. My husband has an initial appointment with a urologist in July, which can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment