Thursday 2 August 2012

Viability Ultrasound

I had my viability ultrasound this morning.

Apparently, I conceived twins, but only one has made it this far.  :(  The other one is still in there, but there is no heartbeat, and the sac is tiny.

There is also a healthy baby in there, with a strong heartbeat (146).  :) He is measuring at 6 weeks 5 days.  I am 7 weeks along according to when I ovulated.  My RE was adamant though that being off by 2 days is completely normal, and does not in any way suggest that there is a problem.

My husband is super-excited about the fact that there is a healthy baby in there. He actually cried when he saw his little heart beating, it was so sweet. :) It was the first time I have ever seen him cry, after more than 9 years. 

I am extremely excited and relieved as well.

I can't help also being sad for the one that I lost though. Does this count as miscarriage number 2? :(

My RE says that what usually happens now is that the lost twin will be re-absorbed into my body, and the remaining healthy pregnancy should be unaffected.  They are having me come in for another ultrasound next week to follow up and see how things are progressing.

As to the cramping and spotting that I have been having, my RE says that it is to be expected.  The spotting was probably caused by either the ultrasound I had right before it started, the progesterone suppositories, or the loss of the other baby.  The cramps are also normal, and are apparently particularly common when a woman's ovaries look like mine - they are absolutely FULL of large cysts.  I over-responded to the gonal-f, and my ovaries therefore look like an IVF patient's normally would.  I am not complaining - at least this provides a possible explanation for the cramping!  The cysts should resolve themselves over the next few months.

So anyway, good news for the most part.  My Bug is still okay.  It is so weird to be so sad, and so happy, all at the same time.
Please keep growing little Bug!

No comments:

Post a Comment